Design a Local Community Book Exchange and Help Promote Literacy for Gwinnett’s Youngest Readers!
Gwinnett Coalition of Health & Human Services is seeking artists for a new program, G.R.E.A.T. (Gwinnett Reading Exchange & Art Transforms) Little Minds. We need local artists to help design and decorate the small prebuilt structures that will serve as free community book exchanges. These enclosed miniature houses will be installed throughout the community. Community members will then be able to visit the exchange to borrow a book and return it after they’re finished. Books will be targeted towards children eight years old and younger to promote early literacy.
How to Get Involved
You don’t have to be a trained artist to make an impact!
- Submit the Artist Application
- Once approved, you can pick up your book exchange
- Design Your Exchange! Guidelines for designs can be found here.
- Return your completed book exchange to the Hudgens Center by January 21st, 2020
Completed book exchanges will be on exhibit prior to their installation at the Hudgens Center for Art & Learning, located at the Infinite Energy Center.
For more information contact Katie Gill at GREATLittleMinds@gwinnettcoalition.org or (770) 995-3339, ext. 209 at the Gwinnett Coalition of Health & Human Services.
Where Will the Book Exchanges Go After They’re Designed?
Once the public has a chance to view all the book exchanges at the Hudgens Center for Arts & Learning exhibition, the completed designs will be distributed throughout the county in areas of need.
Not an Artist but Still want to Help?
Guidelines for Designing your Book Exchange:
Your pre-built book exchange served as its initial canvas. But if you can start from scratch if you prefer, as long as the design follows the size, weatherproofing, and construction standards. You can read more about those standards here.
Most book exchanges will be outdoors. In creating a design, consider the weather and other elements of nature. Designs should be created with durability and public safety in mind. You may modify the original book exchange but objects or additions to alter the book exchange should be attached in such a way that it cannot be easily removed.
Requirements & Resources
- Book exchanges must be primed
- minimum of three coats of varnish (using a two-part, hard gloss) to protect the durability of your design.
- All designs should be appropriate for public display.
- Designs that are religious, political or sexual in nature will not be accepted.
- Corporate logos and advertising are also not allowed.